1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or generously grease. Remove wrappers from candy bars; chop and set aside. Place 2 cups coconut in deep, medium bowl; set aside.
2. Stir together remaining 2-1/2 cups coconut, flour and salt in large bowl. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla, stirring until well blended. Fold in candy pieces and almonds, if desired. Drop slightly heaping teaspoons mixture into bowl of coconut. Roll in coconut until well coated. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until bottoms begin to brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Line tray with wax paper. Place chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.
5. Dip bottom of each cookie into melted chocolate. Shake gently and scrape cookie bottom on edge of bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place on prepared tray. Drizzle cookie tops with remaining melted chocolate. Allow chocolate to firm. Store in airtight container at room temperature. Makes 36 cookies.
* To toast almonds: Heat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown; cool.